Senior Backend Engineer (Python) - London
Plentific is one of the fastest-growing property technology companies in the UK, with offices in Germany and Turkey. Our mission is to improve lives by making housing work better for everyone.
We empower housing providers with a platform to manage their properties. We utilise great local trade talent to create more jobs, build community cohesion and provide better services than ever before.
In 2018, we achieved a lot at Plentific:
- Over 100,000 properties under management on our platform
- Recognised as ‘Deal of the Year - Residential’ at the UK PropTech Awards
- Set a new industry benchmark on responsive repairs by reducing typical time frames (20 days) to less than 4 days
- Realised a significant boost in customer satisfaction by streamlining complex housing processes
2019 is off to an even better start for us. We’ve been recognised by the UK Housing Awards as ‘Professional Services Partner of the Year’. We’ve entered partnerships with social enterprises such as Beam, with whom we help co-fund training for homeless people into trades jobs, and thus rebuild their lives. We are also working with the UK’s largest placemaker - Places for People, on making local communities grow and flourish.
The engineering team sits at the centre of everything we do at Plentific and is constantly tackling challenging problems, such as online payments, quoting, invoicing, booking, search / scoring algorithms, ETL, data pipelines, in-app messaging, real-time notifications and fraud prevention. Our backend engineers mostly work with Python and Django on an increasingly more service-oriented architecture. The rest of the tech stack include Django REST Framework, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, AWS, ES6, React.js, Alt.js, Node.js, Express, Amazon Redshift, Kubernetes, Docker, Redis, Celery, Pandas, Numpy, Scrapy, Git with Zenhub, Jenkins, Elasticsearch, Logstash and lots of raw SQL for analytics. We have a very large but clean code base as we put significant emphasis on design patterns, code readability, testability, maintainability and extendability.
We’re looking for an experienced Python/Django engineer to join the engineering team. You’ll be working alongside a highly technical and motivated team and report to the technical co-founder. You would be expected to apply fundamental engineering and mathematical skills to solve problems and overcome challenges, not just develop code. For people with the right mindset, this frame of mind provides an intellectually stimulating environment.
- Work with product owners, product managers, user interface designers and other software engineers to write technical documents that identify software project requirements
- Write well-formulated, testable and readable code using appropriate software design patterns
- Design, build and maintain APIs, microservices and data pipelines
- Design, normalise and optimise relational databases
- Write complex SQL queries to get data from the database
- Optimise APIs and database queries to improve speed of execution
- Participate in code reviews
- Debug and fix bugs across our applications
- Review, maintain and refactor existing code to meet the requirements for improved or new features
- Write technical documentation of code, algorithms and APIs
- Help in drafting of end-user manuals
- 5+ years experience (3+ years using Python and Django)
- Strong computer science fundamentals such as data structures, algorithms, discrete mathematics, software design patterns
- Experience in relational database management and SQL query optimisation
- Passion for writing clean, modular, well-commented, readable and reusable code
- Ability to think out of the box with a can-do attitude to get things done efficiently
- Excellent communication skills with ability to articulate technical concepts in plain English
- Experience in managing more junior team members
- Top academics (BSc, MSc or PhD) in computer science, engineering, computational physics, mathematics or another field with strong computational curriculum
As you can see, we have big plans and are eager to grow our team of dreamers and doers to achieve our vision of managing over 1 million properties through our platform across various countries. You can help us shape the future of property management. Here’s what we offer:
- A competitive compensation package
- Private health care including discounted gym membership
- Learning and development fund
- A flexible working environment + 23 days annual holiday
- A head office in London Bridge (less than 2 mins from Borough Market)
- An inherently diverse culture with over 11 nationalities and 21 languages spoken
- Food for thought: bottomless breakfast bar and drinks